On Jan 31, 2012, at 2:35 PM, cocoa-dev-requ...@lists.apple.com wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 14:10:13 -0600
> From: Heath Borders <heath.bord...@gmail.com>
> To: cocoa-dev <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>
> Subject: Re: NSDateFormatter not working on iOS 5.
>
> Peter,
>
> If I set the locale to "en_IN" shouldn't that show the short time zone?
>
> NSLocale *indianEnglishLocale = [[[NSLocale alloc]
> initWithLocaleIdentifier:@"en_IN"] autorelease];
> NSTimeZone *timeZone = [NSTimeZone timeZoneWithName:@"Asia/Kolkata"];
> NSDateFormatter *dateFormatter = [[[NSDateFormatter alloc] init] autorelease];
> dateFormatter.locale = indianEnglishLocale;
> dateFormatter.dateFormat = @"z";
> dateFormatter.timeZone = timeZone;
>
> NSLog(@"date string: %@", [dateFormatter stringFromDate:[NSDate date]]);
> NSLog(@"time zone abbreviation: %@", [timeZone
> abbreviationForDate:[NSDate date]]);
>
> output:
>
> date string: GMT+05:30
> time zone abbreviation: IST
>
> -Heath Borders
> heath.bord...@gmail.com
> Twitter: heathborders
> http://heath-tech.blogspot.com

Heath,
Yes, you are correct, for the example you provided above, [dateFormatter
stringFromDate:[NSDate date]] *should* use the short time zone name "IST". The
fact that it does not is due to a deficiency in the "en_IN" locale data in the
versions of CLDR data used by ICU in the current OSX and iOS releases (CLDR
1.9.1 and 2.0 respectively). The "en_IN" locale in those CLDR versions did not
override or supplement any of the timezone name data from the base "en" locale,
whose default content is for "en_US".

This is already fixed for the CLDR 21 release coming in a few days. That is
being incorporated into ICU 49 which will be picked up in future OSX and iOS
releases.

- Peter E