On Feb 9, 2012, at 11:09 AM, Fritz Anderson wrote:

> The trick was that -initWithLayer: did not produce a usable mask layer.

Applications should not call -initWithLayer:. Its purpose of existence is so
that if you have a CALayer subclass that has additional ivars that need
copying, you can implement it and CoreAnimation can call it to do the right
thing. The layers produced in this way are not expected to be useful as 'model'
layers.

> If I created maskL as a new mask layer ([CAShapeLayer layer]), and
> initialized it to match shapeL (except for the fill), gradL was drawn as
> expected.
>
> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4733966/applying-a-gradient-to-cashapelayer>
>  got me most of the way, but didn't extend to how to re-use the mask layer.

Did you add the stroke shape layer as a sublayer of the gradient layer? If so,
that may explain why you didn't get your stroke – the mask applies to a layer
and all of its sublayers. As such, the shape layer would have at least
partially masked the stroke (its possible Core Animation simply rejected
rendering the shape layer entirely, as its path rendering emphasizes speed over
accuracy).

--
David Duncan