On Feb 23, 2012, at 12:09 PM, Markus Spoettl <ms_li...@shiftoption.com> wrote:
> 1) On -mouseMoved: locate object under the cursor and highlight it so the
> user knows which one of them will be operated on when the mouse goes down.
>
> 2) On -mouseDown: locate object under the cursor and prepare it for dragging
> (by remembering it).
>
> 3) On -mouseDragged: drag the object selected in (2)
>
> Pretty standard stuff. Of course this relies on steps (1) and (2) locating
> the same object.
>
> Apparently one can't assume (1) and (2) produce the same coordinates,
> although I think that's a bug or at least it's unclear what the relationship
> of coordinates between mouseMoved: and mouseDown: is.

One alternative:

1. On -mouseMoved: locate and highlight and remember the object under the cursor
2. On -mouseDown: do nothing
3. On -mouseDragged: drag the most recent object remembered by #1.

This works if the difference between the last -mouseMoved: and -mouseDown: is
not too large. Try both and see which gives the better user experience.

--
Greg Parker     gpar...@apple.com     Runtime Wrangler