On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 13:56:08 +0700, Gerriet M. Denkmann said:

>The documentation says of NSProcessInfo operatingSystemVersionString:
>"This string is not appropriate for parsing". But if fails to mention
>what to use instead.
>
>So what should I use? Gestalt? Or is there some more convenient Cocoa
>alternative?
>
>(I need this info for a bug workaround which occurs only in 10.6.)

Depending on what your needs/purpose is, as Stephane says,
NSAppKitVersionNumber may be your best choice.  Weak linking and
doesRespondToSelector: are also useful.  If you use Gestalt, you should do this:

        SInt32 major = 0;
        (void)Gestalt (gestaltSystemVersionMajor, &major);

        SInt32 minor = 0;
        (void)Gestalt (gestaltSystemVersionMinor, &minor);

        SInt32 fix = 0;
        (void)Gestalt (gestaltSystemVersionBugFix, &fix);

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 s...@rogue-research.com