On Feb 25, 2012, at 6:50 PM, R wrote:

> I would like to archive the file in pieces.... update the file rather
> than write an entire new file each time.
> Is there a good way to just write "object for key" to a file?

Yes: Use a database. That’s literally exactly what you’re describing. You have
several choices, such as

CoreData — Integrated into the OS, lots of documentation, very powerful.
Complex and has a steep learning curve IMHO.
SQLite — Built-in, lightweight. But the API is low-level and awkward, esp. if
you don’t already know SQL. You’ll probably want to use it with an Obj-C
wrapper like FMDB <https://github.com/ccgus/fmdb>.
Nanostore <https://github.com/tciuro/NanoStore> — A Cocoa API based on SQLite
that provides a higher-level interface similar to property lists.
TouchDB <https://github.com/couchbaselabs/TouchDB-iOS> — Also a Cocoa API, also
based on SQLite. Compatible with the CouchDB database. Very strong
replication/synchronization features, should you ever want to sync your data to
a server or another device. Written by me :)

—Jens