Thanks. That got me pointed in the right direction. Setting the
placeholder string to nil in control:textShouldBeginEditing clears the
stray second line away nicely. Setting it back in
control:textShouldEndEditing appears to prevent editing from actually
ending. Setting it back in the control's action works, though.

I do now see the reverse problem when the user clears the text; the
first line of the old placeholder string appears even after it's been
set to nil. I'm much less concerned about this, though, because while
populating this field is something a user will do every time they
create a new document in this application, clearing it should be
comparatively rare.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Geoff