This may be obvious to some, but I couldn't actually find discussion of it in
the docs, perhaps because I don't know the proper terminology.

You know the global search available on iOS? The search bar you get to by
sliding the home page to the right. Is there any way to make my own app's data
searchable? I figure it's a Spotlight index thing, but the iOS copy of the docs
for that stuff generally refer to Mac OS X, and Spotlight indexing requires a
plug-in, which I thought didn't work on iOS.

Moreover, how is my app launched if the user selects a search result for data
in my app?

If someone can point me to the relevant docs, or tell me "it's only for Apple's
use," that'd be great. Thanks!

In a related vein, is there any way for me to put stuff into the notifications
slider (like the weather and stock info supplied by Apple)?

--
Rick