OK, after our controller's view gets blown away on the memory warning, it
does appear to be reloaded from the nib when it's time for redisplay.  At
least the IBOutlet members are non-nil in viewDidLoad (I nilled them on
viewDidUnload).

So it appears that the controller's view is reloaded from the nib, but
being displayed as a blank white screen.  The white view itself is
screen-sized and has no superview.  What the hell?