I think you also need to register for the drag types via
-registerForDraggedTypes. I pass in a mix of UTIs and legacy pboard types and
it seems to work. For example:

        [tableView registerForDraggedTypes:[NSArray arrayWithObjects:(NSString
*)kUTTypeURL, NSPasteboardTypeString, @"ABPeopleUIDsPboardType", nil]];

In your -validateDrop method you can check the pasteboard for URLs that conform
to local image files, for example.

The new NSPasteboard routines are poorly documented and badly represented in
the sample code. Good luck figuring them out.