On 5 Mar 2012, at 12:13 PM, Gilles Celli wrote:
> I'm stuck on a problem on how to print high resolution graphs on Mac OS X, by
> using the wonderful CorePlot (1) framework.
> I've asked on the Coreplot mailing list but no answer...maybe it's too
> obvious that I don't see the tree in the forest:
>
> My method produces a CGContextRef (with CGPDFContextCreate) which then writes
> the drawing / plotting as a PDF.
> This works great: The written PDF file doesn't have any jaggies since it is
> vector based. [...] So is it possible to print directly a PDF based
> CGContextRef ?

I haven't looked at CorePlot, but from the -exportActiveGraphsToPDF:
implementation, it looks like you could print vector PDF by getting the
CGContextRef corresponding to the current NSGraphicsContext:

    NSGraphicsContext *nsContext = [NSGraphicsContext currentContext];
    [self renderGraphsInContext:[nsContext graphicsPort]];

If this is in the -drawRect: method that is called during printing, then
[NSGraphicsContext currentContext] will be the graphics context that is writing
PDF to the print file, and -renderGraphsInContext: can emit vector output
without any extra conversions.