Time for me to be cruel and pick apart your code.

On 8 Mar 2012, at 18:10, Howard Moon wrote:

> Hmmm... I'm building a VST3/vstgui4 plug-in, and I think the base SDK and
> deployment targets are set as required, like this:
>
> SDKROOT = macosx10.5
> SDKROOT[arch=x86_64] = $(DEVELOPER_SDK_DIR)/MacOSX10.6.sdk
>
> When I build either a 32-bit or 64-bit build, while running on 10.6, it
> executes -setDirectoryURL with no problems.  I haven't tried running in 10.5
> yet.
>
> Can I keep my above settings, but do this?
>
>       if ([openPanel respondsToSelector:@selector(setDirectory)])

-setDirectory: is available on all OS releases. Just because it has been
deprecated does not stop it existing! You want to test the -setDirectoryURL:
selector instead.

>               [openPanel setDirectory:nsParentPath];
>       else
>       {
>               NSURL*  nsParentURL             = [NSURL
> fileURLWithPath:nsParentPath isDirectory:YES];
>               [openPanel setDirectoryURL:nsParentURL];
>               //[nsParentURL release]; // No...crashes! must be used by panel

That you have this code/comment shows you clearly don't understand Cocoa memory
management yet. Please, please, please re-read the docs and take the time to
understand it. That line of code crashing has NOTHING to do with the open panel.