On Mar 19, 2012, at 4:51 AM, Ian Joyner wrote:

> Popularity is more a proof of mass stupidity rather than quality. The cult of
> C followed on from what Bob Barton called the cult of FORTRAN in 1963 and
> also noted that systems programmers are high priests of a low cult.

Please take this off-list, or to some more appropriate list (I think it’s
already deep-ended past objc-language; is there an algol-like-language list?)
Otherwise we’ll be hearing about the Burroughs B500 soon, and I don’t think I
can take that again.

I don’t mean to be rude, but I’m about at my personal limit of patience with
the amount of off-topic stuff one has to wade through on the Apple lists lately
(especially xcode-users, but here too.) I’m not a moderator and I’m not here as
part of my job description; I hang out when I have time to and mostly try to
answer questions to help people out. If the list gets too noisy I tend to give
up and ignore it for weeks or months before coming back. I’m sure there are
other experienced people here who do the same. It’s to everyone’s benefit if
the list stays on topic so that people who need help can get it and people who
want to offer help can give it.

—Jens