I seem to have hit a few limitations with ARC.

1.) Subclasses of CALayer are not being fully released which causes my view
controller to remain around. There is still some small bit of memory being left
behind. Even if I do the following simple code:

-(void) viewDidLoad {

    [super viewDidLoad];

    CNFooLayer* foo = [CNFooLayer layer];

    [self.view.layer addSublayer:cup];
}

Cup is:

@interface CNFooLayer : CALayer
@end

If you change the above too:

        [super viewDidLoad];

    CALayer* foo = [CALayer layer];

    [self.view.layer addSublayer:cup];

all is good.

If I watch the object list the object allocations you can see that there is
residual memory left behind and my view controller is still around (even though
dealloc was called).

2.) I have a simple class with lost of properties that if i alloc and init it
will cause my hand created view controller to stick around. Remove the alloc in
the view controller and all is fine.

I seem to be at the point now where need to remove arc and go back to retain,
release. The weird thing is leaks has no leaks, watching for my viewController
in statistics shows that it has gone away. However heapshot shows residual and
so does the object list.