It sounds, though, as if it should be ok to use
observeValueForKeyPath:ofObject:change:context (which will run on the secondary
thread, by the sound of it) as a way of monitoring the fact that "something"
has changed in the state of my object. I can then use that as a single place in
which I schedule a GUI update via a shadow object on the main thread. Does that
sound as if it would be ok?