OK, so it looks as if I have found the answer to whether I would be able to use
layer backed views, and the answer is that even with layer backing turned on,
you can not guarantee the drawing order of overlapping sibling views:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/466297/is-there-a-proper-way-to-handle-overlapping-nsview-siblings

This is really annoying because it will require a lot of work to work around,
and also since sibling view layering apparently works on IOS, it would have
been nice to use that paradigm on OSX.

So this means that I have to either:
A) See whether having a single view and using the NS animation options and
animation proxies will give me the performance and functionality I need, or
B) Try to work out the issues with drawing a tiled background canvas layer
seamlessly with animated scrolling, resizing and scaling; drawing high quality
text; the bug with large layers causing flickering; the problems with
CAShapeLayers not always animating paths correctly; smooth scaling and pixel
alignment of all the sublayers; having to have completely separate overlay
windows for things like text editing which need to react to scrolling and
scaling and synchronize them with the main view etc.

Option B sounds scary because it includes a couple of bugs that I am aware of
but have don't have a workaround for, and lots of work, so even though
conceptually it would be nice to use CALayer (or even better, layer backed
views if there was some way to get them to order siblings properly), it seems
that if the performance is acceptable, I may just have to go with option A.
While core animation would be nice, and in the future, 3d transforms etc might
be nice, at the moment, my objects just need scale, opacity, and position
animations.

I guess the next thing to do is some testing with a full screen test app with a
few hundred virtual views animating around, and see what sort of performance I
get...

If there are any comments on these options, or suggestions for other
approaches, I'm all ears...

Ken