Am 27.03.2012 um 17:31 schrieb Ray:

>> So I would expect PNG images to retain their scale value when saved and
>> loaded.
>>
>> If this does not work, there seems to be a bug somewhere.
>> Ray, did you try to explicitly set the image's scale value before creating
>> the PNG representation?
>
> Well, I don't save it to a file, but to a NSData property on a Core Data
> managed object, and I use UIGraphicsBeginImageContextWithOptions, after which
> newImage = UIGraphicsGetImageFromCurrentImageContext() will set the scale of
> "newImage" appropriately (under retina to 2.0, I checked with setting a
> breakpoint and looking at the scale variable of the image)... It is more that
> the imageWithData class method on UIImage always will report a scale of 1.0

The scale value is the same as set in UIGraphicsBeginImageContextWithOptions(),
as far as I can tell.
But it will be lost when creating PNG data and reading it again. (Since I don't
see a way of creating a PNG file without using UIImagePNGRepresentation() it
doesn't seem to matter if the data was saved to a file or not.)

So either imageWithData does not restore the scale from PNG data or
UIImagePNGRepresentation() does not store it in the first place.

I see that as a bug, since the PNG format is able to hold that information.

Andreas