On Mar 27, 2012, at 1:04 PM, Andreas Mayer wrote:

> Am 27.03.2012 um 20:13 schrieb David Duncan:
>
>> Primarily because people abuse the resolution field, and as such it cannot
>> be trusted for this particular function. In a perfect world, we would only
>> ever see 72 (1x) or 144 (2x) in the resolution field, but instead the value
>> tends to be practically random.
>
> Oh. OK. In that case, shouldn't the framework offer an image format, that
> works reliably?

Its not a matter of the image format, but a matter of the format's flexibility.
In terms of general image authoring, the fact that PNG can specify practically
any resolution is a hard requirement. In terms of generating an image to be
used as part of a UI in an iOS application, its a fault that can't be easily
dealt with without ensuring that all authoring is done in a particular way.
--
David Duncan