The final code ended up looking like this

NSDictionary* fontAttrs = [NSDictionary dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys:
                [NSColor redColor], NSForegroundColorAttributeName,
                [NSFont systemFontOfSize:12], NSFontAttributeName,
                nil];

                NSString *upArrow = @"\u2B06";

                CGContextSaveGState(ctx);
                [upArrow drawAtPoint:NSMakePoint(x, y)
withAttributes:fontAttrs];
                CGContextRestoreGState(ctx);
                CGContextSetTextMatrix(ctx, CGAffineTransformIdentity);

I needed to save and restore the graphics state as well as reinitialize the
text matrix since the ctx state is apparently changed by
drawAtPoint:withAttributes:.

On Mar 30, 2012, at 4:43 PM, Kevin Bracey wrote:
> did i miss something, I thought is - (void)drawAtPoint:(NSPoint)point not
> NSAttributedString not NSString.
>
> Cheers
> kevin

Regards,