Xcode 4.3, Lion 10.7.3

Given a 3 x 3 Matrix which is a sub-class of NSMatrix with Cells sub-classed
from NSButton
the X origins of column 0 cells seem to be 1.0 point inside the Matrix bounds.

So if I want to stroke the Matrix bounds with a line width of e.g. 4.0 points
it draws over the left area of the column 0 cells.

Hence I would like to make sure that the origins of the cells are where I
want them to be, i.e. leave enough room to stroke the Matrix bounds.

I've read Matrix Programming Guide and looked at the NSMatrix and NSCell
references but I do not understand which methods to use to accomplish this.

Should I do this in NSCell calcDrawInfo? And then does that mean for each Cell?
Surely there must be simple way to provide a frame for all the Cells inset from
the bounds of the Matrix.

Nor can I find a way to do this in Interface Builder.
AutoLayout is checked but Automatically Resizes Cells is not.

TIA for your help.

respect

Peter