On Apr 6, 2012, at 8:29 AM, Gilles Celli <gilles.ce...@ecgs.lu> wrote:

> Versions ? Well here in my case for now I don't need it for my application
> since it's kind a viewer / visualizer of the data, I'm not editing or
> changing anything
> to the fileā€¦it's a like a PDF viewer but here for data / graphs.

Fair enough. But you do need to deal with other apps using Versions and file
coordination against the files you have open. If you don't follow NSDocument's
standard windowing paradigm, it can't perform its normal behavior (like
throwing up a sheet alerting to the user that a file has changed).

Or hell, maybe it can. You might be able to use -windowForSheet to point
NSDocument at the shared window.

> Maybe you got me wrong but it's simply to append the file's contents that the
> user selected in the "Open Panel" and put these selected file contents
> (=NSString *fileContent1 + *fileContent 2 etc.) to one big appended NSString
> *multiContent, then of course call makeWindowControllers
> to open the NSDocument Window.

I think you will not want any of your documents to own your window; the window
should be owned by the app and -makeWindowControllers would do nothing. You can
monitor your NSDocumentController to determine whether to open or close your
shared window.

> The advantage of using NSDocument are multiple, and mainly printing to PDF
> works great etc. so it should be possible (since it's possible on Windows XP
> ;-)

Of course you can do pretty much anything on OS X that you can do on Windows.
But OS X's frameworks are designed to discourage bad decisions. The bias
inherent in the frameworks produces a consistency across apps that users
appreciate.

Just because something is easy on some other platform does not mean it should
be easy on OS X.

That said, it sounds like you have a decent use case that won't fight the
framework too badly.

--Kyle Sluder