On Apr 15, 2012, at 12:36 PM, Alex Zavatone wrote:

> Well, thinking back to 1995, it appeared that they were exactly that.
>
> What Is the payload full of now, icons and previews or what?
>
> Sent from my iPod

Um, yes, as has already been mentioned, aliases store the icons of their target
files, and in Lion, icons can be pretty big. Try making a Finder alias of a
generic document, a folder, or something else that has a 1024x1024 icon. The
alias will be over a meg in size. Yes, that’s bigger than back in 1992.
Unsurprisingly, a 1024x1024 32-bit color icon takes up more space than a 32x32
256-color icon. Progress marches on.

The one thing that could probably be changed would be to have Finder aliases
store only one copy of the icon instead of two. Still, however, I’m not going
to lose any sleep over it. This would have been a big deal back when a 128 MB
hard drive was huge, but not so much today.

At any rate, this discussion has drifted pretty far off topic and should
probably be closed at this point.

Charles