On Apr 20, 2012, at 10:49 AM, koko <k...@highrolls.net> wrote:

> Ah, ain't Cocoa a great, modern (85?) environment.

Ah yes, snarky potshots are time-proven way to get help from a forum. May I
suggest you consider an alternative approach:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html.

> On Apr 20, 2012, at 9:23 AM, koko wrote:
>
>> Here is the code that creates and adds the subview ....The method
>> -makeAndWrapViews is in the custom class of the NSTabViewItem view.
>>
>> I do get -viewDidMoveToSuperview when addSubview is called.
>>
>> When the tab is clicked I do get viewdidMoveToWindow
>>
>> But I never see thev iew!
>>
>> - (void)makeAndWrapViews
>> {
>>   NSRect frame = [self frame];
>>   frame.size.width = 288;
>>   frame.size.height = 259;
>>
>>   m_text = [[NSPDText alloc] initWithFrame:frame];
>>
>> BOOL text = [NSBundle loadNibNamed:@"NSPDText" owner:m_text];
>>
>>     if (text)
>>   {
>>       [self addSubview:m_text];
>>   }
>> }

Is NSPDText a subclass of NSView? If so, I guess it should work, but it's
unusual to have a view be the owner of a NIB. You are mixing view and
controller layers, so you may want to consider a different design just to
clarify the roles of objects.

It appears you expect the content of the NIB to be visible. But, you add m_text
as a subview and it has no subviews; the fact that m_text is the owner of the
NIB does not cause views in the NIB to be added automatically to the owner. if
m_text has an outlet to a view, that will be connected, but then m_text must
add the view to itself as a subview. Try this quick experiment: in NSPDText,
override -drawRect and scribble in the view, such as (written in Mail):

- (void)drawRect:(NSRect)rect {

        [@"Hello World" drawAtPoint:rect.location withAttributes:nil];
}

Aaron