On 19.04.2012, at 20:02, Alex Zavatone wrote:
> Make it a property so that it doesn't go away, but exists for the whole class.
>
> Check out how to define a property.  There are lots of examples around.

 That's wrong. There are no properties on classes. There are only properties on
instances of classes.

 It helps to think of a class as a blueprint. When you create a new object of
that class (called an "instance" by geeks), you actually build, say, a radio
according to those blueprints. When you destroy the radio because you no longer
need it (OK, this is where the analogy becomes more violent and wasteful than I
intended), the blueprint still exists, and you can create a new instance
according to these plans, or several at the same time.

 Now, the blueprint (i.e. the @interface ... @end and @implementation ... @end
in your source code) say that a radio has a "current frequency" property, a
"volume" property, maybe even a "date" property if it has a built-in clock. But
that *does not* mean that the *class* has a current frequency, volume or
date/time.

 When you create a new radio from the blueprints, it will have those things.
When you set the clock on your radio in San Francisco, it will not change the
date on my radio in Munich. Each object/instance/radio gets its own property.

 OTOH, when you create a global variable like your fromDate, there is only one
for your entire program. If you change the clock in San Francisco to be
correct, it will suddenly be wrong for me in Munich.

 Now that's not necessarily wrong, if you intended to build a radio with a "San
Francisco Local Time" clock, mind you. It just depends on what you are actually
trying to do ... ?

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere..."