On May 8, 2012, at 9:28 AM, Charlie Dickman wrote:

> @"" is the nil string and the compiler is smart enough to make the
> substitution.

Um … pardon me, but WTF? There is no such thing as a “nil string” object. @“”
is a perfectly valid NSString instance with a non-nil pointer. It just happens
to contain zero characters. The compiler is absolutely not going to replace it
with a nil pointer.

I don’t know what the problem is in the OP’s code, but I wanted to reply ASAP
to quash the idea of a “nil string” substitution.

—Jens