Good people,

This one really has me stumped. Perhaps someone can help me out.

In my program is the code...

NSAttributedString *theAttributedString = [[NSAttributedString alloc ]
                                            initWithString: possibleString
                                            attributes: theAttributes];
PRINT_APPEND(@"\n%d (%d)...\n%@",
         [theAttributedString retainCount],
         [theAttributedString length],
         theAttributedString);
[theSudokuTextField setAttributedStringValue: theAttributedString];
NSString *s = [theSudokuTextField stringValue];
assert([s length] != 0);

PRINT_APPEND looks like this

#define PRINT_APPEND(format, ...) [self printAppend: [NSString
stringWithFormat: format, ##__VA_ARGS__]]

printAppend looks like this

- (void) printAppend: (NSString *) theNSString {
        printf("%s", [theNSString UTF8String]);
}

This is what appears on the debug console

1 (29)...
     2
     5
  7  8   {
    NSFont = "\"BaskOldFace 9.00 pt. P [] (0x3687e20) fobj=0x511bf0,
spc=2.25\"";
}Assertion failed: ([s length] != 0), function -[Controller
updatePossibilitiesDisplay:], file /Users/Charlie/SudokuX III/Controller.m,
line 1143.

What could possibly make the stringValue disappear like this?

Charlie Dickman
3tothe...@comcast.net