And a good "guess" it was because it got me to add the release and = nil to the
code...

        possible[strlen(possible)] = '\0';
        NSString *possibleString = [NSString stringWithFormat: @"%s", possible];
        NSAttributedString *theAttributedString =
                           [[NSAttributedString alloc ] initWithString:
possibleString
                                                        attributes:
theAttributes];
        [theSudokuTextField setAttributedStringValue: theAttributedString];
        [theAttributedString release];
        theAttributedString = nil;

and now it's working again. However, as you can see, theAttributedString itself
is not mutable.

Thanks millions!

On May 16, 2012, at 1:13 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:

> On May 16, 2012, at 9:44 AM, Charlie Dickman wrote:
>
>> The actual problem is that I am telling an NSTextfield to set it's contents
>> (the method is actually a part of NSCell from which NSTextfield inherits it)
>
> No; NSTextField inherits that method from NSControl.
> (It _contains_ an NSTextFieldCell, which inherits a method of the same name
> from NSCell. I know, controls vs. cells is confusing…)
>
>> and it does not appear in the textfield. It used to work but I have no idea
>> what I did to break it.
>
> Only thing I can guess is that you passed in a mutable attributed string and
> later changed its contents. If the control didn’t internally create and store
> a copy of the original string, this will change the string it contains behind
> its back.
>
> —Jens

Charlie Dickman
3tothe...@comcast.net