From: mlist0...@gmail.com
To: "Cocoa Dev" <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2012 10:10:34 PM
Subject: trackingAreas can be snuck up on without triggering?

I have a view for which I am adding a tracking area so that I can update the
cursor. The view entirely fills my window and is the only view in the window's
content view.

The tracking area is being registered thusly:

- (void) awakeFromNib
{
    NSTrackingArea* trackingArea = [[NSTrackingArea alloc ] initWithRect:[self
bounds]
              owner:self
              userInfo:nil];
    [self addTrackingArea:trackingArea];
}

and I have defined in my view:

- (void) cursorUpdate:(NSEvent *)event
{
    NSLog(@"cursorUpdate: %@", [NSDate date]);
    [[NSCursor openHandCursor] set];
}

If I whip the mouse into the window's content area, my cursorUpdate method is
called and I see the correct cursor. If I slowly sneak the mouse into my
window's content area, I see the window resize cursor for a moment as I cross
into the window content area (I'm running Lion), then... nothing. The cursor
reverts to the arrow cursor, and my cursorUpdate: method is not called, even
though I am well into my view's rectangle.

If I inset my view from the boundaries of the window a bit (16-ish pixels),
things behave as expected.

What am I doing wrong?

Sample project at <http://bugs.muratnkonar.com/trackingareas.zip>

_murat