This has gone into my Mac Keepers folder, thank you so much Quincey, for the
second time in a week.

I never, ever, thought of clicking on the bold label at the left of the row, I
always clicked the green shaded box. That way madness lies, or at least
disappointment. I can confirm that clicking there and hitting delete does
exactly what you said, it works, I have now cleaned up the project I got in a
super mess one day I had the shakes and kept missing the lines I wanted,
absolutely super.

It is actually possible, by the way, to get 5 levels of config in there. If, on
the Info screen for the project, you set configurations at the project and
target level (configurations are just text files with lots of GCC_xxx=yyy in
them or the equivalent for LLDB) the levels will be iOS Default -> Config file
for project -> Project on-screen settings -> Config file for target -> Target
on-screen settings. If you actually do that you probably deserve the madness
which will ensue, but I thought I'd mention it.