I'm trying to use the NSStream classes to parse incoming incremental XML data.
The data is never a complete XML Document, but I want to receive and process it
in incremental chunks based off how much ever the socket can read.

Looking at the documentation for NSXMLParser, it seems like the initWithStream:
method to initialize a NSXMLParser would be the perfect solution to my problem.
I can initialize the parser with a NSInputStream and then call the parse method
on NSXMLParser whenever I receive data over my socket which should in turn call
the NSXMLParser delegates.

However, I'm not seeing any of the delegates being called, the only method I
see being called is the stream delegate stream:handleEvent:. There seems to be
little to no examples of this API from Apple or other developers. I could use
libxml2 directly to accomplish what I want, but I am hoping I am just using
NSXMLParser incorrectly.

Here is the source for what I am trying:

ContentParser.h:

    @interface ContentParser : NSObject <NSStreamDelegate,
                                         NSXMLParserDelegate>
    {
       NSInputStream *inputStream;
       NSOutputStream *outputStream;
       NSMutableData *receivedData;
       NSXMLParser *xmlParser;
    }
    - (void)initStream;

ContentParser.m:

    @implementation ContentParser

    - (void)initStream
    {
       CFReadStreamRef readStream;
       CFWriteStreamRef writeStream;

       CFStreamCreatePairWithSocketToHost(kCFAllocatorDefault,
                                         (CFStringRef)@"<hostname>",
                                         <port>,
                                         &readStream,
                                         &writeStream);

       inputStream = (__bridge NSInputStream *)readStream;
       outputStream = (__bridge NSOutputStream *)writeStream;

       inputStream.delegate = self;
       outputStream.delegate = self;

       [inputStream  scheduleInRunLoop:[NSRunLoop currentRunLoop]
                               forMode:NSDefaultRunLoopMode];
       [outputStream scheduleInRunLoop:[NSRunLoop currentRunLoop]
                               forMode:NSDefaultRunLoopMode];

       [inputStream open];
       [outputStream open];

       xmlParser = [[NSXMLParser alloc] initWithStream:inputStream];
       [xmlParser setDelegate:self];
    }

    - (void)parser:(NSXMLParser *)parser didStartElement:(NSString
*)elementName
                                            namespaceURI:(NSString
*)namespaceURI
                                           qualifiedName:(NSString *)qName
                                              attributes:(NSDictionary
*)attributeDict
    {
       NSLog(@"didStartElement: %@, attributeDict: %@", elementName,
attributeDict);
    }

    - (void)parser:(NSXMLParser *)parser foundCharacters:(NSString *)string
    {
       NSLog(@"foundCharacters: %@", string);
    }

    - (void)parser:(NSXMLParser *)parser didEndElement:(NSString *)elementName
                                          namespaceURI:(NSString *)namespaceURI
                                         qualifiedName:(NSString *)qName
    {
       NSLog(@"didEndElement: %@", elementName);
    }

    - (void)parser:(NSXMLParser *)parser parseErrorOccurred:(NSError
*)parseError
    {
       NSLog(@"Error %ld, Description: %@, Line: %ld, Column: %ld",
          [parseError code], [[parser parserError] localizedDescription],
          [parser lineNumber], [parser columnNumber]);
    }

    - (void)stream:(NSStream *)stream handleEvent:(NSStreamEvent)eventCode
    {
       switch (eventCode) {
           case NSStreamEventHasBytesAvailable:
           {
               if (stream == inputStream) {
                   NSInputStream *is = (NSInputStream *)stream;
                   if (receivedData == nil) {
                       receivedData = [[NSMutableData alloc] init];
                   }

                   uint8_t buf[1024];
                   NSInteger bytesRead = [is read:buf maxLength:1024];
                   if (bytesRead == -1) {
                      NSLog(@"Network read error");
                   } else if (bytesRead == 0) {
                      NSLog(@"No buffer received");
                   } else {
                      [receivedData appendBytes:buf length:bytesRead];
                      BOOL parserResult = [xmlParser parse];
                      if (parserResult == NO) {
                         NSLog(@"Unable to parse XML");
               break;