Hello,

I'm able to add additional space around a paragraph in my subclass of
NSATSTypesetter's implementation of
willSetLineFragmentRect:forGlyphRange:usedRect:baselineOffset:. However, I am
not getting what I expect as I tweak the parameters to this method. I was
hoping for some insight on what these parameters really mean from the group to
help me understand why I'm not getting what I expect.

When I increase the height of the lineFragmentRect and the usedRect the space
for the paragraph does grow and I get the space I expect.

What is confusing me is where the line of text is drawn in the
lineFragmentRect. Based on experimentation the line of text is always drawn
near the top. When I first encountered this I assumed that tweaking the
baselineOffset would allow me control over where the text is drawn. I was
unable to change where the text is drawn by tweaking baselineOffset.

My next attempt was to tweak the origin of the lineFragmentRect. That did move
the line of text, but not in ways I expected it to. My thinking was that moving
the origin.y 3 would move the text by 3. That does not appear to be the case.

Based my reading of the docs it looks to me as if the changes I make in
willSetLineFrag… are passed on to
setLineFragmentRect:forGlyphRange:usedRect:baselineOffset:. During the
implementation of setLineFrag… the layout manager must be called with
setLocation:forStartOfGlyphRange:

I'm trying to follow a sample from Doug Davidson's WWDC 2003 NSText talk,
however the sample is not on the ADC site. I found this post where Doug pasted
in part of the sample:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/cocoa-dev/2006/Dec/msg00096.html

My end goal is similar but not the same. I have multiple paragraphs that will
be marked with an additional attribute. I only want the first and last lines to
be expanded/moved.

Thanks for your time!

-bd