On Jun 6, 2012, at 10:24 AM, Charlie Dickman wrote:

> I have an application on OS X, not IOS, that contains some sensitive data
> that I want to withhold from those not licensed to use it. I wish to use RSA
> encryption/decryption in block mode (I think).

It sounds like the data is hardcoded into, and distributed with, your app, but
encrypted, and when the user gets a license they'll be provided with a key to
decrypt it?

That sounds more like a case for a symmetric cipher, not RSA. You make up a
key, then encrypt the data with it when you build the app. When a user
registers, you send them the key, and the app can then use it to decrypt the
data.

> I want to encrypt both the public and the private key and I think I want to
> use (at least) 128 bit techniques although 64 bit would probably do.

128-bit would be better. Although in this use case no one's going to try to
brute-force decrypt the data; they'll just look around on a warez site for the
key that some earlier unscrupulous user has uploaded.

> I plan to re-encrypt the keys after each use.

I'm not sure what that means. I *think* you're referring to keeping the
decryption key secure on the user's machine? To do this you'd add it to the
keychain.

The API you want is probably the one in <CommonCrypto/CommonCryptor.h>. AES128
is good default algorithm to use. To access the keychain use
<Security/SecKeychainItem.h>.

—Jens