On 6/10/12 7:45 PM, Markus Spoettl wrote:
Well, it suddenly started working and the reason is that apparently you need to
have

-saveToURL:ofType:forSaveOperation:completionHandler:

overwritten. If you don't you just don't get to use background writing.
Overwriting this method does the trick. One would think that the existence of

-canAsynchronouslyWriteToURL:ofType:forSaveOperation:

should be indication enough that one really, truly wants to use it. I have a
suspicion that it has to do with my overwriting of

-saveToURL:ofType:forSaveOperation:error:

which as of 10.7 is deprecated in favor of a 10.7 version:

-saveToURL:ofType:forSaveOperation:completionHandler:

Of course that's no good if you want to support 10.6 as well.

Final episode in this epic play...

The documentation on

-saveToURL:ofType:forSaveOperation:completionHandler:

states:

--------
For backward binary compatibility with Mac OS X v10.6 and earlier, the default implementation of this method instead invokes saveToURL:ofType:forSaveOperation:error: if that method is overridden and this one is not, and it passes any error to the completion handler.
--------

Which I guess is what they should also put into -canAsynchronouslyWriteToURL::

Documentation enhancement suggestion filed.

Regards
Markus