On 11/06/2012, at 3:14 AM, Markus Spoettl wrote:

> I have an NSDocument based app that supports two file types, one as an Editor
> (for the new app version's documents) role and one as a Viewer (for old app
> version documents). Both are based on the same document class which reads
> both but saves only the new version format.
>
> When -saveDocument: gets called on an old-version document, the framework
> completely ignores that by role definition (Viewer), it can't save the format
> and calls -saveToURL:ofType:::: with the old URL (wrong file extension) and
> old type (can't save that).
>
> I find it a little odd that something like this hasn't been sorted out long
> ago, so naturally I'm wondering once more today, what am I doing wrong?

I believe the 'role' settings are only used by Core Data (if I'm wrong, I'm
sure someone will correct me).

I've run into the same issue. I've had to override -setFileURL: and at that
point "upgrade" the URL to have the appropriate extension so that the modern
version of the file is later written out with the right extension. It doesn't
overwrite the old one because the extension change is seen as a new filename.

--Graham