I've managed to never have to deal with Authorization Services so far in my
Cocoa career; until today. Basically I have an app that needs to install some
helper tools that the user can run from a shell. (This is a lot like the way
TextMate installs the 'mate' tool.) I'm giving a choice of install locations,
but the typical one is going to be /usr/bin, so the app will need to authorize
to do that.

Reading through the Authorization Services Programming Guide and
BetterAuthorizationSample, this all looks really, really complicated. All I
need to do is the GUI equivalent of "sudo ditto my_tool /usr/bin" — does this
really take pages and pages of code involving AuthorizationRefs and IPC, and
either setuid or invoking launchctl?!

—Jens