Martin,

        Instead of inspecting the value of error, you should be inspecting the
return value of writeToURL:atomically:encoding:error:. Only if that returns NO
should you be inspecting the value of error which, as you’ve seen, may be
non-nil on success. You can see an example here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Strings/Articles/readingFiles.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40003459-SW5

Jeff Kelley