Hi Vincent,

Have you tried setDrawsBackground:NO on your NSTextField?

Below was what I used.

I don't know if any of the other instance variables I set are important for
your case but they might be.

HTH,
Joel

- (void) initTextField;
{
  [self setBordered:NO];
  [self setFocusRingType:NSFocusRingTypeNone];
  [self setBezelStyle:NSTextFieldSquareBezel];
  [self setBezeled:NO];
  [self setEnabled:YES];
  [self setSelectable:YES];
  [self setEditable:YES];
  [self setAlignment:NSNaturalTextAlignment];
  [self setBackgroundColor:[NSColor whiteColor]];
  [self setDrawsBackground:NO];
}

This was the original message:

Hi everybody,

I’m trying to add a transparent editable NSTextField to a view. As long as the
field is not editable (e.g. a label), everything is fine; but with an editable
field, I get a background fill. I imagine this is under the window NSTextView
responsibility. Has someone already succeeded in programming a totally
transparent NSTextField, or shall I recourse to a CATextLayer instead?

Thanks,
Vincent