Thanks Graham (Sigh…)

I was beginning to think I'm stupid or something, struggling so hard with a UI
element as ordinary as a Split-View.

I have the feeling I "almost got it", and I even think I understand why and
when delegate methods are being called.  Rolling out my own SplitView doesn't
seem to be easier than finding the answer to my question, because to inherit
from NSSplitView I'd still need to understand how "super" works won't I?.
Also I'll have to re-implement lots of behavior (animation, dynamics, efficient
drawing etc.) that might prove a big job.

I could re-state my question again even simpler --- I want to know what makes
NSSplitView respond with "YES" to the following:

[mySplitView isSubviewCollapsed:panelSubview];

Is it just the subview being hidden? being zero-framed? being
vertically/horizontally transformed to zero? Does the NSSplitView maintain a
"collapsed" state member for each of its subviews? How can I set this state?

and if anyone from Apple is on this list --- for god sake, why isn't there a
[mySplitView setSubview:panelSubview collapsedStateTo:YES/NO] ????

--Motti