I haven't used RBSplitView, but it sounds like it might be handy to have a
method for replacing an already-set-up NSSplitView with an RBSplitView. Maybe
it could be a category method on NSSplitView, something like this:

- (RBSplitView *)replaceWithRBSplitView
{
        // Retain and autorelease self, to avoid premature dealloc.

        // Create an RBSplitView instance with the same frame as self.

        // Move self's subviews to the RBSplitView, preserving their frames.
        // I'm not sure if simply sending addSubview: to the RBSplitView works,
        // or if you have to explicitly remove the subviews from the
NSSplitView.
        // To be safe I'd assume the latter, and again be careful about
        // premature dealloc.

        // Set the RBSplitView's delegate to self's delegate.

        // Send replaceSubview:with: to [self superview].

        // Return the RBSplitView.
}

This way you can still use IB to lay out the subviews of the split view, using
a regular NSSplitView. In awakeFromNib, you can swap out the split view by
calling this method.

I think I'd try this approach if I was in a similar situation.

--Andy