I have 29 file types and wanted to get away from the if or switch to open them
and let NSDocument pick the right class for me.

As I understand it, an Item in the Document types array of the plist contains
and entry for an NSDocument class.

And yes, each type has a unique extension (possibly multiple).  I.e. type
phobia has extensions pho, pho12, pho15 all mapped to NSDocument subclass
MYPhobia.

-koko