I believe for icon-type views, the idea that shift-selecting selects a range of
items is no longer considered best practice these days. For example, the icon
view in the Finder doesn't do that (list view does).

command-click and shift-click are the same thing for icon views, i.e. they
toggle the clicked item.

--Graham