On Jul 16, 2012, at 2:15 PM, Alexander Reichstadt <l...@mac.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to have an NSTextView to hold text and custom data-widgets
> that are unrelated to filewrappers? I don't want NSTextAttachmentCell I
> think, because without a file it doesn't work

I have used NSTextAttachmentCell for things that are not files. Note the
comment in NSTextAttachment.h that says "An NSTextAttachment *usually* has a
fileWrapper" (emphasis mine). It doesn't *have* to have one.

Unfortunately it's been enough years that I don't remember the details. It may
be that you can initialize an NSTextAttachment with a nil fileWrapper, or to
set the fileWrapper property to nil after initialization. If not, you may just
be able to pass in an arbitrary path to some file, and then the
NSTextAttachmentCell methods such that they don't care what the file is.

—Jens