Hi, BareFeetWare

     NSURLProtocol is also can be used in iOS cocoatouch, you can check
this example
http://code.google.com/p/tkawebview/downloads/detail?name=tkaurlprotocol.zip&can=2&q=

this is a open source url protocol, but still have some bug,
1.  however I think you can use + requestIsCacheEquivalent:toRequest: to
check which resource to get from cache and which to start a new request
2. if you want get the resource requested by UIWebView, you can override
the UIWebView method   like this link
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3155359/in-webkit-how-do-i-get-the-content-of-a-resourcemetioned
- (NSURLRequest*) webView:(WebView*)sender
                 resource:(id)identifier

          willSendRequest:(NSURLRequest*)request

         redirectResponse:(NSURLResponse*)redirectResponse

           fromDataSource:(WebDataSource*)dataSource
and if you want make all thing more safe, you can check this link
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1637604/method-swizzle-on-iphone-device

--
Fykec Yin