It turns out that on 10.6+ at least, just setting the button cell to enabled
does the trick:

    NSButton *button = [window standardWindowButton:NSWindowMiniaturizeButton];
    NSButtonCell *buttonCell = [button cell];
    [buttonCell setEnabled:YES];

Still, it's definitely an Apple bug, and I'll file a bug report.

Regards

Gideon