On 7/23/12 6:27 PM, Markus Spoettl wrote:
On 7/23/12 5:42 PM, Fritz Anderson wrote:
Perhaps I'm missing something — is writing the preferences file very
time-consuming? If not, why not write it whether you need to or not? Or
whenever a preferences value changes, which is what you'd do with
NSUserDefaults?

Thanks for your suggestion. Writing is fast, so I guess I could write in -close.
I'd prefer not to write if it's not necessary and it seems I can detect that
case reliably because -canCloseDocumentWithDelegate::: will be called if there
are unsaved changes and -close is called from within
-canCloseDocumentWithDelegate::: in that case. That could break in the future,
though.

Despite the future breakage risk I've decided to go with this solution. I'm not using versions, autosave, sudden termination or iCloud at this point, so modifing the package at the time the document is guaranteed to be finished with its wrapper seems reasonably safe. Autosave has some nice features but overall it doesn't seem worth the unavoidable trouble. My documents can get huge, saving may take long, even making snapshots can take long (I do use asynchronous saving and loading). Saving cancelability gives me a headache.

Thanks for the suggestion, guys!

Regards
Markus