I've got a view that, according to Quartz Debug, is invalidating a large and
unnecessary portion of the view when certain user events happen.

The problem is, I have no idea what is causing this to happen. What strategies
are best for debugging the -setNeedsDisplayInRect: method to find out
specifically who is calling it where and with what frame?

I can't put a symbolic breakpoint on the method, because it gets called very
often, including when the app is activated, which causes Xcode to reactivate
itself and get in the way. I then changed the breakpoint to auto-continue and
just print the stack trace each time the method is called, but now I feel like
I'm looking for a needle within a huge console log. I really need it to break
when the rect is of a certain size, but the NSRect data structure is more than
twice as large as a CPU register on x86_64, so the structure is placed on the
stack, but how do I break on a variable buried within the stack?

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>