On Jul 29, 2012, at 7:55 PM, Alex Zavatone <z...@mac.com> wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2012, at 10:48 PM, David Duncan wrote:

>>> Well, because I could not get setting the frame size of a storyboarded
>>> UILabel to do anything at all in the
>>> UITableViewCell subclass and I could get the code to draw the label into
>>> the cell and add the subview to work.  That was very straightforward.
>>
>> Are you resizing the label inside of -layoutSubviews?
>
> In the TVC, I was doing all the operations in cellForRowAtIndexPath.
>
> That includes referencing all the UILabel IBOutlets from the TableViewCell
> subclass and assigning their values.

So then how does this cause the issue you you mention above? Simply referencing
the outlet isn't going to cause additional views to be added. Unless you are
assigning a new label to the outlet (which is counter intuitive to the concept
of an outlet in the first place) the only label you'll get is the one from the
nib.

But even that said, on shipping versions of iOS, the cell's size isn't
necessarily set inside of cellForRowAtIndexPath:, so if you want to layout with
respect to the size of the cell you still aren't going to have that information
at this point.

--
David Duncan