Hi List,

I've been reworking my application and I've found a solution I'm not
particularly happy with, and was hoping to get some advice from others.

I have several views that are essentially views onto different tables.  Each
row in the table represents real items in the file system (because they are too
large to store in a database).  I have a typical scenario where each view's nib
has a view and array controller.  It all works relatively well.

Because of the size of the file system items, adding and deleting rows to the
tables can take some time.  This and a few other similar situations are about
the only times the array controller needs to talk to the view controller (to
update a progress bar and similar).  The reverse situation of a shared search
field in the toolbar is about the only instance where the view controller needs
to talk with the array controller.

What's the best way to manage this two way communication?  Having the view
controller know explicitly about the array controller seems fine, as the array
controller is part of the same nib as its view.  Having the array controller
know explicitly about the view controller doesn't seem like the right approach
for the reverse.  Notifications don't seem quite right either, as the array
controller can only broadcast as it doesn't know the object to send directly to.

I've settled on having the array controller publish values and having the view
controller notice by key-value observing.  How have other people solved this
problem?

Thanks for advice,
Arved