On 3 Aug 2012, at 23:59, David Duncan wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Gerriet M. Denkmann <gerr...@mdenkmann.de> wrote:
>
>> The code in basicView (an UIView) is:
>>
>> - (void)touchesEnded:(NSSet *)touches withEvent:(UIEvent *)event
>> {
>>      if ( self.sliderView == nil )   //      load nib
>>      {
>>              NSBundle *mainBundle = [ NSBundle mainBundle ];
>>              SliderViewController *tem = [ [ SliderViewController alloc ]
>> initWithNibName:        @"Sliders"
>>
>>                                                                 bundle:
>>                    mainBundle
>>
>>                                                                 biGroup:
>>                    biGroup
>>
>>                                                                 cubeGlView:
>>            self
>>
>>         ];
>>              self.sliderViewController = tem;
>>              [ tem release ];
>>
>>              self.sliderView = self.sliderViewController.view;
>>              self.sliderView.center = self.center;
>>              [ self addSubview: self.sliderView ];
>>      }
>>
>>      self.sliderView.hidden = NO;
>> }
>

> As I alluded to earlier, if you are going to use view controller containment,
> you MUST use the containment API if you want sane behavior.  The reason you
> are getting this behavior is that based on your greater conditions, the
> SliderViewController you just created is getting rotation callbacks, and
> since it doesn't have a parent view controller would assume it is a full
> screen view controller and sizes itself for that.
>
> I would recommend you either

> 1) adopt view controller containment and do this addition in the view
> controller that owns basicView (which needs to be a subclass to do this
> properly) of

If I understand this correctly, I have to do:
create a view controller for my basicView (currently there is none) and
use [ basicViewController addChildViewController: sliderViewController ] and
not use [ self addSubview: self.sliderView ];

Anything else I have to do?
Any sample code, where I could study this?
Any documentation I should read (about the containment API)?
Any WWDC videos I should watch?

The View Controller Programming Guide for iOS says: "The area each view
controller fills is determined by its parent." But how?

> 2) make SliderViewController not a subclass of UIViewController.

If I use this alternative (might be easier to fit into my code) - how do I get
notified of device rotations?

Kind regards,

Gerriet.