Hi Rodrigo,

For some reasons [1], getting an iPhone hot is trickier than it looks and
engineers have worked hard to make this device's operation as energy-efficient
as possible.

The only way to make an iPhone heat itself, when not connected to a power
source, is by draining its battery power as fast as you can in the most
inefficient way possible. The quicker you drain the battery, the less efficient
you use that energy, the hotter the device gets (users may not thank you for
that).

And then you hit this little snag where you can't really control efficiency.
Apple engineers made sure iPhones would dissipate as little heat as possible
for their operation in order to maximize battery life.
So, you're left with controlling the power: the rate at which you spend (drain)
the device's battery energy.

As you mentioned before, getting the iPhone hot can be achieved by transmitting
data over the phone network (3G) or as Alex Zavatone pointed out, you can load
the cores (code for such task should be available in some open source tools for
linux, achieving this goal on x86 processors).

But, that's it. You don't have a lot of flexibility and depending on your
specifications it may not be enough (you can't drain the battery in a snap).

To give you a more accurate idea of what you can get:
An iPhone 4s fully charged stores approximately 19 kJ of power (1.432 Ah; 3.7
V). Using 60% of this energy (from 80 % charge down to 20 %) you get roughly
11.5 kJ.
That's the energy required to heat 270 mL of water up by 10 °C (10 °K; 18 °F).
And that's only if you proceed really quickly and you get 100 % of your energy
in the form of heat (which you won't).
Real-world result *will* be worse (The water is not the only thing you heat,
you also need to heat the phone. And both are passively cooled down by their
environment, so you have to act fast, which is not possible => power control…).
It may not even be enough to really heat your hands in cold winter (let me
know). Moreover nice chemical devices are commercially available that nicely do
the job without killing your mobile's battery life.

This is just an "order of magnitude" assessment. An apple engineer would have
more data to help. Or you can look on the internet. Maybe keywords such as
"Joule power iPhone" could do the trick.
With all the tear-downs going on for each iPhone launch I wouldn't be surprised
to find some informations on this topic…

Cheers,
Jean

[1]
Usually, heat  is viewed as an energy wasteful side-effect of electronic
devices operation plaguing the industry.
Heat is especially bad for mobile devices with limited power supply since it
further the reduces the amount of energy actually available for their operation
and drains their batteries.

Jean Suisse
Institut de Chimie Moléculaire de l’Université de Bourgogne
(ICMUB) — UMR 6302

U.F.R. Sciences et Techniques, Bâtiment Mirande
Aile B, bureau 411
9, avenue Alain Savary — B.P. 47870
21078 DIJON CEDEX

T: +333-8039-9037