On Aug 15, 2012, at 8:38 PM, Jay Reynolds Freeman
<jay_reynolds_free...@mac.com> wrote:

> I thought that DarkWake was the name for the advanced form of Power Nap on
> 10.8; in any case that is what I meant.  I *think* I understand that the
> system can put apps of its choice into that mode (audio and console powered
> down, all else running).  My concern is as described -- what will
> NSSpeechSynthesizer do when my app is placed in that state outside of my
> control.

My own reading-between-the-lines makes me think that _only_ specific Apple apps
will get _any_ CPU time whatsoever in this state. Both because of compatibility
issues such as the one you raise, and also because the OS is being extra
vigilant about battery usage and heat dissipation.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next OS release adds public APIs to let 3rd
party apps run particular tasks in power-nap mode, akin to the way iOS 4 added
background options for apps. Your first post made me think that such APIs were
already present in 10.8 and I just hadn't noticed them yet :)

—Jens